Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Various Updates

I've updated the Project Blue Jeans tally. After a off-course late December, the holidays, and January being more out of control than I planned/expected, and three days on prednisone for a recurring bout of excema, I'm up 1.5 from my early December low. I'll take it for now, be glad its not a larger number (especially since the average holiday weight gain is 3-5 pounds) and move onward and downward.

My goal is still to get into those jeans by spring, but Valentines Day doesn't appear to be realistic. No worries, I'll still get there!

The February 10K is 4 1/2 weeks away and I am sadly untrained. I'll keep on pushing but I intend to make the race a lovely energetic walk, with some run intervals thrown in. I know the course pretty well, and I know I can make it through.

The swimming I discovered imbalance mirrors my hip/leg/quad/glute imbalance. I'm stronger on the right than the left, and I overcompensate my using the right too much. I discovered I was pulling much more forcefully with right side, as well as gliding longer on that side. I breathe to the left, but if I train myself to get more comfortable breathing to the right, I hope I can even out my effort and improve the balance between the two sides.

Shiva Rea's Yoga Shakti DVD has a fabulous Lunar practice that is exactly right for calming your body and mind at the end of a long day.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Steve Stenzel said...

I'm stronger on my right in the water too.

Good luck with the training!!!

12:08 PM  
Blogger LBTEPA said...

1.5lb - a mere bagatelle!
bilateral breathing will feel weird at first but will even things out for you.
Good plan not having too rigid a time goal. The main thing is you DO get where you're headed, not WHEN, no?
cheers mate

5:49 PM  
Blogger Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

The holidays derailed a lot of us. No worries.

Most of us have an imbalance on one side or the other. Try adding bilateral breathing as a drill in your swim. Maybe swim 200yds of 25 bilateral/25 normal.

2:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home