Saturday, November 11, 2006

A Veteran's Day Vignette

Yesterday I stopped in the swanky town next to mine to run a couple of errands before work. I ended up in this very high-end accessories store, and made a couple of purchases. The lady behind the counter was typical for the town, older, white, preppy and prosperous looking. We were chatting about some jewelry on the counter while she was ringing my purchases and when I moved my purse she gasped: "oh, you're wearing your poppy."

"Yes," I said, I got it on election day after I voted."

"My husband is a Veteran," she said. Then, her voice getting husky, she added,"and my son is a Marine."

I asked where he was and if he was OK, and she started to cry. "He's fine, but he's going to Iraq in January."

"Oh no," I said. "I hope he stays safe."

She waved her fingers and shook her head. "I can't talk about it much," she said. "Some days, it just overwhelms me."

We finished up the transaction, and as I was walking away, she said "thank you for wearing the poppy."

I replied, "you know, on Tuesday, I voted to bring them home. I hope the changes coming will really do that, and your son never has to go."

"I never thought of it that way," she said.

And I've been mulling that exchange over and over, ever since. I really do hope and pray they all come home soon, and I send my sincere and heartfelt thanks to every service man and woman who has ever been there, and to their families as well.

2 Comments:

Blogger Miss Rachel said...

This is a very touching story, and you spoke so well about your decision. I hope the election results do bring about the changes a lot of us are hoping for.

7:47 AM  
Blogger Herself, the GeekGirl said...

my son is in the military; luckily, he's in a specialty that's non-deployable. I've been thanking the heavens for that, but I'm still pissed about the boys that are being sent overseas for what amounted to misinformation and miscommunication. I voted to bring them home, as well. I'm the daughter, mother, wife, and sister-in-law and daughter-in-law of veterans, and I tried to join the military too, but I have asthma.

3:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home