Sunday, October 08, 2006

Fall, glorious Fall!



Today was a busy busy day. I got up early for a 60 minute bike ride, and then met a friend for an easy hike at World's End, in Hingham. World's End is conservation land managed by the Trustees of the Reservations, and it consists of four coastal drumlins, linked together by causeways, jutting into Hingham Bay.



The property is just amazing, and the layout was designed by Frederick Law Olmstead, of Central Park fame. There are fabulous views of Boston, the Harbor and the Islands. World's End itself is also a part of the Boston Harbor Islands National Recreation Area. The property description and more about the Trustees is here: http://www.thetrustees.org/pages/393_world_s_end.cfm

After the hike (which I just read is classified by the Trustees as "moderate"), we went off to my favorite outdoor restaurant, the Old Salt House in Cohasset Harbor for lunch. The day warmed up considerably, hitting 69, with bright sun and big blue skies. We were two *hungry* women, for sure and ate well -- salads with crab, then big sandwiches (lobster for Gail, chicken/motz/red pepper panini for me) with fries (and boy did they taste terrific, but I didn't finish them all), then splitting a slice of key lime pie. It was a fabulous treat, and a lovely way to say goodbye to summer! Tomorrow is the last day, before Old Salt closes for the year, until Memorial Day weekend, 2007.

I'm pretty commited to my Sunday morning bike rides, but its getting progessively colder up here in the Northeast (and next weekend, the bike and I will be in Vermont, where it could be really really cool in the morning). This morning, it was 46 when I set out. I was in decent tights, l/s jersey, jacket, full-finger cycling gloves. Took 20 minutes to warm up and my toes and fingers never did really get warm. I know wool cycling socks would help, but what else? Shoe covers? Any specific glove recommendations? Are there wooly cycling gloves? As long as the weather remains decent (and even in some cases where its marginal) I'm committed to these early morning weekend rides. I just can't face the trainer yet, and besides, I still need to get better at cycling in different conditions.

Up for tomorrow, the Tufts 10K. Probably doing a combo of running and walking. My hip just isn't ready for a full 10K yet. I do love this time of year, wooooohoooooooo!!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Ellie Hamilton said...

I've worn regular knit gloves (the cheapie Wal-Mart ones, like $1.49 or something for 2 pairs, they look tiny but stretch to full-size) underneath my fingerless cycling gloves. Worked really well for me.

Sounds like you had a glorious day.

7:14 PM  
Blogger zojmn151 said...

Hey, Guin - sounds like you had a great time! I was in full fall gear yesterday for my ride, but my toes were a wee bit chilly! need to borrow DH's booties! Awesome picture and the lunch sounded great! Good luck at the Tufts 10K!

8:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home