Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Personal trainer!

I should be doing dishes, but while the water drains from my sink clog (ick), I'll fill y'all in on my training session last night.

At the recommendation of my chiro, I signed up for a personal trainer and had my first session with her last night. Our plan, to evaluate my strengths and weaknesses, develop an off-season strength training plan to accompany my focus on weight loss and prevent recurrence of injury. I've never had a trainer before, so I didn't know what to expect, but I LOVED every second of working with her. Just having someone dedicated to your own improvement for an hour felt fantastic. But she is also incredibly knowledgeable and blew me away with her ability to discern small stuff, as well as the big.

Her focus is on stretching and strength, using pilates type core conditioning. We'll also move into free weights at some point.

Her diagnosis was that like many women, I am quad and ab dependent. That has resulted in a front-back imbalance, and weaker hammys, glutes and lower back. I also have a left-right imbalance. Both probably contributed to my right side ITB injury, and my recurring cranky right achilles.

She's given me some stretches and strength moves to start, and next week we'll continue to develop the program. Her sessions include written descriptions of the exercises and other feedback. I'm really really happy with the investment, and I think I could get really addicted, fast. Will have to figure out the pennies, but have signed up for weekly sessions the rest of the month and will see where I go from there.

I just loved it, I worked hard, and I'm psyched to have my own tri trainer/coach, at some point. Oh, and she made my day by being totally nonplussed about my size, and even commented that I have very good body awareness, and that I'm clearly an athlete who has a solid foundation in yoga. Wooohooooo!

I do need to invest in a balance ball. Does anyone have any really good recommendations for a burst-resistant, non-slippery ball?

1 Comments:

Blogger Miss Rachel said...

Hi. I just discovered your blog.

At the gym I go to, there are 2 brands of balls, and I find the "Resist-a-balls" to be the ones I prefer; they are non-slippery and also nicely firm.

I love the fall too! :-)

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home