Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Training for a Half Marathon

I never, ever thought I'd come close to participating in an event with "marathon" in the title, but here I am. Last week (7/24) was the first official day of my training program. I'm using the Hal Higdon Novice plan, with a few modifications to allow for some tri training, and to lengthen out the long runs to account for my current abilities. And, of course, I'll modify the schedule as needed to fit my nutty schedule.

This is last week's log:
Mon - Yoga (45 mins)
Tues - Ran 3+ (3.1 or 3.2, need to measure it to be sure) (44 mins)
Wed - REST
Thurs - Run 2.5 (treadmill), Walk (0.5 - indoor track) (42 mins); 40 mins weight lifting
Fri - REST
Sat - Run 6.5 (1:34:xx, and it was HOT)
Sun - Swim Angel Danskin Webster Lake - swam 1 mile+ (lets call it 1800 yds)

TOTAL MILES: 12.5
TOTAL TIME: 350 minutes (approx.)/5.88 hours

Not bad, I made every workout but the short run on Wednesday, but made up for that by increasing my distance on Saturday. I really want to keep on swimming 2x a week, so I'll either do that, and swim in rest days, or add a swim to the short run days. And I need to keep on getting on the bike -- which I entirely failed to do this week. Sigh.

Coming up for the week of 7/31:

Mon - Yoga (done - 45 mins)
Tues - Run 3 (done, 41:00)
Wed - Run 2 (planning on fartleks, will try to swim after work as well) (2.3 miles w/ 1/1 fartleks)
Thurs - Run 3 + lift (REST)
Fri - Rest (may try an AM swim) (Run 3+, 46 mins -- not sure why I was so so slow. Pilates or swimming after work tonight).
Sat - Cross (Bike, Bike, Bike)
Sun - Long Run (6-8)

2 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

This looks very doable. GO GIRL!!!! My only concern would be running 3 days in a row with speed work in the middle. Just listen to your body. It will give a shout out if it's too much.

Don't underestimate the importance of a long bike ride in buiding endurance. Do you have a time estimate for the half? Build your long ride to be that time plus 15 minutes. Make it an easy ride, low-moderate aerobic. The goal is to give you "room to spare" on race day without beating up your legs.

I'm so excited for you. Good luck!

2:05 PM  
Blogger Herself, the GeekGirl said...

I'm sure you'll do awesome - you're more disciplined than I. I've done two 13.1's; they are my favorite race so far.

2:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home