Saturday, May 20, 2006

Preakness Day!

I'm a Baltimore girl, born & bred, even if I don't live there any more, and today blends my home town and my all-time favorite sport, horse racing. It should be a beautiful day for a race, and lets go Barbaro!

Here's a recipe for the traditional Preakness drink, the Black-Eyed Susan. The Black-Syed Susan(or, Susan-Eyezans, as I called them as a child) is a summer perennial, and the Maryland State flower.

1oz Vodka
1oz Mount Gay Eclipse Rum
1/2 oz Cointreau
6 oz Orange Juice
3 oz Pineapple Juice

Combine ingredients, stir, and pour over crushed ice. Garnish with a pineapple, orange slice, and cherry brochette.


Follow-up: Oh no, Barbaro was badly injured at the start of the race. I'm hopefull the vets will be able to save him, but rear leg injuries like the one he suffered are very very serious. It's unlikely he'll race again, but veterinary medicine has come a long way since I cried my eyes out over Ruffian in 1975.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

I lost my breath when I saw it. Hopefully he can be saved. It's not a given, even with veterinary advances.

8:36 AM  
Blogger Herself, the GeekGirl said...

The drink sounds delish. I hope he'll recover quickly!

6:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home