Saturday, May 13, 2006

Ordered my aerobars!


Hopefully, they'll be a lot easier to get on than the new tires.

Is it 650 wheels, or my female hands (which are pretty strong), or just my general lack of mechanical skills and experience. I STRUGGLED with getting the new tires on my bike. The front wheel I've changed several times, although not in a while. The old tire was tight, and it took lots of work to get it off, and then the new one went on easier, until the end, when it was awful. Of course, I managed to split the tube in the process (after the new tire was on, of course). So back off again, new tube, then tire on again. An hour later, my hands covered with grease (no matter *what* I do on my bike, I end up grease streaked), a couple of bloody knuckles, a sore thumb, and down a tube, but I have a new Vredestein on the front wheel.

On to the rear. I was worried about tackling the back wheel. I'd never taken that one off or on before. Got good instructions from Tink, and that was the easiest part. This one was faster, but dirtier. Lots of black muck -- tire dust, I guess, from the trainer. 30 minutes, and I'm pressing the wheel back into the rear, the skewer engages, and POP, there goes the second tube. I do have another, but I've also got tire fatigue, and beat up hands. I'll either tackle it later, or let the LBS handle it, when I take her in for her tune-up tomorrow.

I'm glad I can *do* the change, but if I was in a race, forget it, I'd be done. Should I practice, to get better? I know I'm going to be sorry I've asked that question, aren't I?

New bike shorts are coming with the aerobars too, and I've got some assos chamois cream to try out. Now, if only it would only stop raining . . . . . . . Thank goodness for internet shopping, I think I'd go nuts, with all this rain, without that to distract me! I guess its time to learn how to ride in the rain, spend more time in the pool, and work on my yoga and pilates. The wonderful (and nutty) thing about this sport is that there is always something to improve upon.

2 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Toby said...

They are going to look great! I think my old wrists wouldn't like that type, but you'll be really aero!!

8:27 PM  
Blogger Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

Yeah, you should definitely practice changing the tire. A flat can really impact your race time but you can wait a long time for the bike support team to reach you.

Each rim/tire combination is different. I can put Michillen tires on my rims without a tire wrench thingie, they almost fall onto the rims. When I tried to put the same tires on some borrowed wheels, the wheel won. It took an hour, I had blisters, what a pain.

You're ahead of many cyclists. Many have never changed a tire.

9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home