Sunday, July 30, 2006

Giving Back to the Tri Community



I had SUCH a fun day at Webster Lake today, volunteering at the Danskin race -- being an Angel ROCKS! I heartily suggest anyone try it, if they are comfortable in the water, and near a Danskin event. It was so wonderful to be back at the site of my own first race. Despite the ups and downs of my 2006 season, it reminded me of why I started this sport, and why I love it. There is something so powerful about seeing women of all shapes, sizes, and ages, testing themselves and finding strength and power they never knew they had.

We Angels (a great group of women including peeps from WWFC *and* Tri-DRS -- how cool is that) spent about 2 hours in the water, taking turns working with waves. I swam with 2 waves, so I got in a mile swim -- one turn I was towing a totally panicked triathlete for about 3/4 of the route. After my last lap I stayed in the water and swam the route backwards, as the last few waves were in the water.

Once the waves were done we dried off, warmed up (and it got quite warm later), and went off to cheer the finishers for a couple of hours.

The Danskin races are just so very special. I love racing with the guys (and not just for the views), but -- as I said at brunch after the race with some friends -- there is something amazing about driving into the parking lot and seeing all women in transition, and all men ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE FENCE :-)

1 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Toby said...

Good for you! I was an angel at Danskin in Florida a few years back when I had a broken foot (but could still swim a little). It was fun!!

11:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home