Wednesday, December 20, 2006

*Pieces* Of My Mind.

Last night, I made my grandmother's fabulous christmas pound cake for the office recipe exchange today. I even made the butter cream in red, white, and green, to frost it, just like she did. I stayed up late (for me) -- until after 11 to finish it. Except the cake wouldn't come out of the pan, and started to crack. I left it alone, went to sleep and tried again at 2 AM, no joy ---- cake in about a dozen pieces, and the bottom inch still in the pan.

I can't take it to work, and I guess I should probably throw it away. What a waste -- I'm sick about it. I guess I could put it in a zippy bag and take it to my sister's house, and we could munch on the chunks, and even dip the piece in the icing, but it is certainly *not* an elegant presentation.

Grrrrr.

Here is the recipe, anyway:

Nana Metzger's Christmas Pound Cake
3C sugar
¾ pound unsalted butter (3 sticks), softened
6 eggs
3 C flour
1T vanilla
1C milk

Warm milk and add vanilla.
Cream butter and sugar.
Add eggs, one at a time.
With the addition of each egg, add a portion of the milk and flour.
Beat until smooth.

Pour into a greased, floured Bundt or tube cake pan.
Bake at 325 for 90 minutes (but check it after about 75).

Serve plain, or with holiday buttercream!

1 Comments:

Blogger Miss Rachel said...

I'm sorry about the baking mishap. That's very frustrating. (One time I had a Christmas Pannetone that burnt black because of an oven malfunction.) As long as it tastes good I would save the pieces. Maybe you could arrange them sort of attractively in a dish - ?

7:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home