Friday, April 21, 2006

Just because its there doesn't mean I have to eat it.

I know this fact to be true, but I grew up in a "clean plate" family, and I've always been a clean plate kid. Whether I was hungry or not, I almost always finished everything, especially if it tasted good.

As part of trying to eat more consciously, I try to evaluate my fullness level with every single bite. Eating lunch today, I filled up quickly on the hummus and veggie pita I was eating. But there was still hummus left in the container, and an almost empty box of reduced fat Triscuits in my desk drawer. What a perfect combo -- I'll scoop the hummus out with the Triscuits, and finish them both. I *love* Triscuits and hummus. Its become one of my all time favorite combos. But after a few bites, I realized that I really wasn't hungry. And then it hit me, I didn't need to finish the hummus, just because it was there and the container was almost empty. Same for the Triscuits.

So I dropped the rest of the hummus in the trash (there really wasn't much left), and put the cracker box back in my desk drawer.

A small victory today.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

My family was the same way. Funny how those habits haunt us in adulthood. "OMG, I can't throw those last 3 bites away, that's wasteful." Great job on the mindful eating!

1:03 PM  
Blogger Herself, the GeekGirl said...

OMG, I love hummus and I love triscuits. I get the cracked pepper crackers instead, though, because triscuits have a lot of fat. But good for you - that's tough, stopping when you love something so much. Eating is like an addiction sometimes.

8:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home