Monday, April 17, 2006

Aging up.

This morning I was in the grocery store with my sister and noticed the date hanging prominently on the wall. 4/17/06. Which means in precisely 4 months, I turn 4, er, four, um, well, 38+2. As a triathlete however, I hit that number on 1/1/06, because of a new USA Triathlon rule. Check out your latest USAT membership card which states: "effective January 1, 2006, athletes will compete in the age group corresponding to their age on December 31 of the event year." What, we're race horses now?

I *protest!!* I am neither a thoroughbred, nor a 40-something. Not yet anyway.

Well, as Mom often says, "it's better than the alternative." For me, that's not just age, but the heavier, slower, less active, unhealthier person I was in my 30s. So maybe the 40s *won't* be so bad, after all.

3 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

Sounds like you'll have some fabulous fast fourties to look forward to!

9:53 AM  
Blogger bari said...

Hehe, that rule's been in effect here in Israel for some time. I turned 40 last year, but I had to race in the 40-44 age group two months before my birthday. I think that kinda made the birthday itself less of a big deal! Anyway, less than a month away from my 41st birthday I can tell you that it's true -- life starts at 40!

4:04 PM  
Blogger Herself, the GeekGirl said...

I'm really glad I waited until my 40's to start running, because I feel like I'm getting fitter...from what I've read, if I'd started sooner, I've be bummed about how much I'm slowing down.
Forty-something women RULE.

7:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home