Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Sometimes you just need a good steak.

Tuesday is typically veggie day. As is Friday, and I've been very good and very loyal to that plan. But I am not a vegetarian -- I'm just trying to learn to make veggies a higher priority in my personal food chain, and learn different ways to eat them.

I ate no meat all day. Oatmeal, skim milk, fruit, ricotta, some hummus, a veggie sausage. I even had a lovely sweet tater/black bean tortilla casserole in the fridge to eat tonight. But last night I dreamt about steak. It was one of the most vivid dreams I can remember, and certainly one of the only one about food that I recall. I woke up twice, at midnight and 2 AM, hungry, probably not having eaten quite enough after my intervals workout. And I dreamt of a thick t-bone, coated in fresh parsley, garlic, and cracked pepper, grilled until medium rare.

I stopped at the grocery after work to grab some fruit and more veggies, and when I walked past the meat counter, there it was. A lovely little organically grown piece of beef, 9oz of t-bone, begging to come home with me. I went into the basket. "I'll cook it for dinner tomorrow, I said to myself." I added the eggs, reduced fat cheddar, and thought about how hungry I was. I added a bottle of Shiraz. "Shiraz would be fun with sweet potatoes and the chile and cumin flavors," I thought. Uhuh, sure. As I walked from the store to my car, my foot cramped, and it got worse as I drove home. After I took the bags in I limped out to the garden where I found a few early sprigs of parsley. I cut some off, chopped it roughly, added a drop of olive oil, chopped garlic, and fresh ground pepper and then spread it over the meat. I took down the grill pan, and as I set it on the flame, my foot miraculously stopped hurting.

Sometimes, you just need a good steak. And man, was it fabu.

2 Comments:

Blogger Max said...

I like what you have to say. Listen to your body.

Alexa Nickels, a.k.a. "Miss Residual"
Earn Residual Income

9:12 PM  
Blogger Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

Yum!!!! That sounds so good. And with Shiraz? Oh my. Obviously your body wanted it and a little beef is good for the soul. :)

12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home