Sunday, February 26, 2006

RR: Hyannis Marathon 10K, or, How To Kick Yourself in the Ass

(Me and my silver (for snow & ice) race bling - I *earned* this baby)

I'm just proud of myself for sticking with this race. There were a million reasons why I could have quit, or never even showed, starting with my six week taper, or my gimpy achilles, and ending with the weather. I arrived at the race site this morning to the remnants of last nights snow storm continuing over the Cape, unplowed roads, and bitter wind and cold (15 or so at start time). It was bad enough the organizers almost cancelled the half and full marathon, and had everyone race the 10K. But off we went at 10AMish, onto the slushy, slippery roads. It was one of those races where I never got comfortable. When the sun peeked out and the wind died, I'd heat up quickly and sweat. Hat and gloves would come off. Then the clouds would roll back in and the wind would pick up, and I'd be shivvering in my wet clothes. I don't think I've been as sweat soaked in August. I feel for the marathoners, most of us 10K and half-ers were happy to be back at the hotel eating hot soup as soon as possible.

The course was far hillier than I expected, the last third being almost all uphill from the beaches back into town. My lack of condition really showed up then. I was on close to PR pace for the first half, and crumbled, the second half. I got blisters on one foot, cramps in the other, but I perservered, slowed down, and finished. And when I could focus on something other than my various aches and pains, or inability to breathe in the cold, the course was just glorious. It winds from outside Hyannis' west end, to the harbor, and then through the various beach communities and enclaves, culminating in a climb up through Hyannisport (just past a famous compound) and back to the hotel. The beach, and the homes sprinkled in snow were lovely, although I would have preferred about 20 more degrees and no wind.

Have not seen the results yet, but I'm sure I'll be DFL or close. I'm not thrilled, but this is the real hard kick in the ass I've needed. I don't want to feel this miserable in a race ever ever again!

Wooohoo, just saw the results and I wasn't DFL! Kudos to those behind me, who must have really been hurting and made it through, well done!

7 Comments:

Blogger Papa Tweet said...

Don't you just love when our hobbies become miserable. Way to stick with it. Keep plugging away. We all need a swift kick in the ass every now and again.
Benny

9:52 PM  
Blogger Nancy Toby said...

That looks like a champion to me!!!!

Though there is NOTHING wrong with DFL. Beats hell out of DET (Didn't Even Try).

10:18 AM  
Blogger Holly said...

Way to go! That is no easy course especially this time of year!!

1:08 PM  
Blogger Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

Don't kick your ass too hard, you might hurt something. :) The race bling looks great on you! You definitely earned it. Running in cold and slush? Ew!

1:22 PM  
Blogger pwsamco said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:56 PM  
Blogger pwsamco said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:57 PM  
Blogger pwsamco said...

Nice blog. I hope everybody enjoyed this activity. This is good for oneself and for everybody who gained from this kind of marathon 10k activity.

11:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home