Friday, July 08, 2005

Group Rides

It is a phenomenon particular to roadies (road cyclists) that they do organized group rides. I've only ever ridden alone, but I am hoping to join a beginners group ride put on by REI tomorrow morning.

Not wanting to make any huge mistakes, I asked the tri-drs for tips, hints, and group ride etiquitte. Silly me ;-)

I asked this: I'm hoping to do a beginners group ride tomorrow put on by REI (weather permitting). It will be my first such event, and I'm wondering if there is anything I need to know in terms of how to behave in a pack.

The ride is 20 miles at an 11-14 average (goal?) pace. I've not ridden 20 miles yet, but I ride 12-15 miles at a 13-14 pace, so I'm not worried about distance. I figure I should start slowly andtowards the back, and I can move up later if I've still got the legs. Anything else I should worry about?

In sum, I got back this:

(1) Ride fast and aggressively;

(2) Use my elbows, a lot;

(3) Wear headphones and keep to myself;

(4) Wear pink.

Boy, this is going to be a FUN experience, and I should make LOTS of friends ;-))

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home